I finally did it! I decided to take all my non-SU! stamps and my retired stamps and switch them to an unmounted system. Wow...I didn't realize how hard that would be! I felt like I was disgracing my SU! stamps. But lack of space won out so I now have 11 sets unmounted with about 70+ to go. I can also use my acrylic blocks that I bought from CTMH with them.
Here are the instructions if you want to know how I did it. I bought the thin EZ Mount sheets from Sunday International. They are designed to work with rubberstamps that are already mounted on the foam backing. I microwaved the stamps for about 15 seconds and then peeled them off the wood block and stuck them on the EZ Mount sheet. Then, I used a hot knife and cut around them using my already cut out rubber stamp for a guide. Place them in a CD holder or on a piece of acetate and your ready to go! Just place the stamp on a clear block when you are ready to use it and stamp as normal.
I'd much rather use my stamps already mounted on the wood...I guess I'm a little lazy that way. And I do feel guilty for desecrating my SU! stamps, but I'm seriously running out of space. It also makes it look like I have less stamps than I do (good for those accountant husbands out there!). So if you are looking for another storage idea and can't bear to part with your stamps, you might try this. Thanks, Valerie for the idea!!